Thursday, February 5, 2009

Stuff and Things

I interviewed at Sun Products yesterday, the people who make Sun laundry detergent, and lots of other store brands. I gave someone at their booth my resume at a job fair I went to right after I lost my job. I received a call from them on Tuesday, which I missed because I was asleep after trying but failing to take the kids to Denny's that morning for free grand slams (the line was out the door at 6 am, I made it up to them by cooking a huge breakfast of eggs, potatos, bacon and smoothies) I had class after I woke up, and didn't realize that I had a message until it was too late to call back. I called first thing in the morning yesterday, and told them that I would like the interview. They said they needed me right away, and that I was scheduled for an interview at 1:30.

I arrived 15 minutes early to fill out the application, and then I sat in the HR lady's office chatting with her about the job requirements, and making small talk until the maintenance manager arrived to take me to my interview. He was quite late, and the lady I was with called him up and asked if he was coming to get me. He replied that he was on lunch, and if I could wait. I said I could, so I continued to chat with her just about life in general. 25 minutes passed, and no one came to get me. She called again, and I was finally allowed to go into the manager's building for a test of my abilities and a more technical interview. I got there, I was taken into a back room, told that while I had some decent experience, they had interviewed someone earlier that morning that they wanted to place in the open position. He said I don't want to lead you on, but we're not going to hire you, so thank you for your time.

I don't see why he made me sit through his lunch just so he could humiliate me in person. It's not like I didn't have better things to do. Apparently, they are having a labor dispute there, and I didn't feel great about crossing a picket line to work there, so maybe it's all for the best, but I really didn't appreciate the lack of respect I was shown.

I've got a test tomorrow for a position as a Coach Technician for UTA Trax. I've got some applicable experience for this, since the light rail runs on similar technology as the material transport vehicles I worked on at IMFT. I think I would like the job, the pay is good, but I don't really have a great shot at getting the position. I know a lot of guys that check the UTA website looking for openings all the time, and there should be some good competition for this job.

I interviewed for a part time job with UPS today, and I am hoping for a callback tomorrow for a 2nd interview. It will make a good part time job to supplement whatever other income I'll have.

This next little thing is something I found on YouTube today. I really wish I could find more of it.

4 comments:

J.F. said...

Sounds like that Sun job would have been trouble if you got it. That Maintenance Manager was not someone who I would want to work for.

I know it's tough to be without a job, I've been there. Hopefully this whole experience will end up with you being much happier down the road. We're praying for you guys every day.

Thanks for the Count Floyd clip, I remember seeing that one before.

Wag-a-Muffin said...

I remember the Ed Grimley cartoon show. It wasn't on even a whole season (I think)
It was very uneven. Hilarious or stupid.
Oh, and best of luck in job hunting. I'm sorry the Sun guy was a jerk, but better to find out now than after you're working for him.

And my "word verification" to post this comment is "Cowwook."

Stephanie said...

What a creep! I'm so sorry that that guy was such a jerk making you wait for him just to tell you that he wasn't going to hire you. Grrrr. You wouldn't want to work around a guy like that anyways. We're still gunnin' for ya, Chase!

Ceri said...

I am glad that you are finding interviews, I just hope all the interviews pay off. I am sorry that you have to go through this, i'll be looking for work here shortly too, I hope I can find places to interview with too. The economy is pretty bad, so I am a little worried, but we pray for you every night too. I know the Lord will bless you, he always does!:)