Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Call me Diamond Chase...

So, I just got through with my first day at the new job. It looks like it's going to be pretty interesting and rewarding.

I met a friend there who I worked with at Micron about 7-8 years ago. He's been working at US Synthetic for about 2 years now, and he says its a great place to work. They've got good benefits (I'll find out in about 6 months I guess) and they pay well, both in wages and in bonuses. They've got a lot more control over how much they can sell their product for, unlike the commodity memory market.

So I'm trying to learn everything I can and be a good employee. I should be able to learn lots of valuable skills that will get me a good paycheck from them or somewhere else if it comes down to it, but after 1 day, I kind of hope it doesn't.

They subsidize the lunches for everyone there, I ate 2 big steak fajita tacos with fresh guacamole yesterday. It cost me 3 bucks. The plant is right across the street from the BlendTec factory. My employer bought one of their commercial smoothie makers, and set it up in the employee lounge. You put a cup in the machine, press a button for what flavor you want, and it spits out a freshly blended smoothie for free. The best way to get my loyalty is usually thought cheap or free food, so I think I'll be staying as long as I can :)

6 comments:

Wag-a-Muffin said...

Good luck with getting your body fat down to 15%. (No really, it sounds like a great place.) I can never understand why some employers feel like they can get loyalty and hard work by treating their workforce like idiots or criminals. When I start my retirement industry. I'm going to be a good boss.

And good luck in Korea!

Ceri said...

Congrats! It sounds like fun! I am glad that you like it so far.

J.F. said...

Sounds like a great deal. What kind of stuff do they make there?

Chase said...

We make diamond tipped drill bits for the most part. It's a pretty interesting process that involves a bunch of dirty equipment.

Ceri said...

I know this is a random question but do you make any diamond burs? We use those for dentistry and they have little diamond chips at the end of them. Just wondering.

Chase said...

I'm not aware that we make anything like that. Most of the thing's I've seen are pretty massive drillbit tips, nothing that you'd be sticking in anyone's mouth.