Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Moving on

We just about got everything out of our house today. Tomorrow we will be picking up a few computer chairs and a desk.

We're all sad to have to leave. The house is looking its age, but it's super clean for probably the first time in 10 years (the people who lived in it before us were slobs {takes one to know one, and believe me, they were slobs} and we didn't have a chance to clean it up very good before moving in.) The swamp cooler is operational, which would have made this summer fairly bearable, and the front room is looking pretty snazzy with the addition of the new blinds I put up in the windows. We did get out of a summer's worth of weeds I guess.

I've been sick for the past week and a half which hasn't made moving an entire house very fun. All the kids had something over the past 3 weeks or so, and Emery was sick the entire time. She's still really fussy because she's not used to being well, but things are slowly getting better.

I took the border patrol test today, I'm sure I did just fine. I realized that I have forgotten more spanish than I retained, but I'm pretty sure that I scored high enough on it to prove that I had been fluent at one time. I heard that the EMTs on the border patrol make quite a bit of money from one of the guys who was at the test, so there's a nice possibility I guess. Supposedly, it takes about 9 months to go from the initial test until graduation from their academy. Some of the things they talked about that will be job responsibilities sounded like they'd be pretty fun.

I was also called today by the city of Roseburg, and they want me to interview for one of 3 open positions. They are interviewing 19 people. Those aren't particularly good odds, especially for someone who flunked out of an interview already, and didn't even get invited back for another after acing the written test, but we'll give it a go anyways. My interview is on the 30th of this month, and I'm hoping that I took some valuable lessons from failing my first interview.

Tomorrow I'm driving up to Idaho Falls to test for their fire department. I'm hoping to do well there, it's probably the best situation for our family, nice smaller community, temple very close by, and BYU Idaho within driving distance so Jennifer can finish school. We'd really like to find somewhere that we can settle down, and Idaho Falls seems to have everything we need.

I'm going to be calling up the electricians union here in Salt Lake and see if I can get an apprentice position. It would take a while, but making it to journeyman would probably be pretty lucrative.

1 comment:

Wag-a-Muffin said...

Good Luck in Idaho!
And good luck to Jenn in all this upheaval.