Friday, November 19, 2010

Rescue Week

This week at the academy, our technical rescue teams have come to teach us some basic rescue and extrication techniques. It's been a great week with the exception of the 6 hour lecture kicking it off. Our training evolutions have been really fun, and our rescue team instructors have been really cool and helpful.

So far, we've done some repelling down the side of our tower in harnesses we tied out of webbing (praying my knots hold up), torn up cars with spreaders and cutters, dove headfirst off balconies onto ladders and pivoted to feet down while 10 feet off the ground and slid down the beams to simulate an emergency bailout, simulated an elevator shaft rescue using handcuff knots, practiced the Denver drill, which is more or less a really crappy confined space rescue (only crappy because the tall guy usually ends up getting a face full of the victim's butt, and crappier if you get called to be the biggest unconscious victim of the day and you get slammed around against the walls, hung up by the helmet on the windowsill, and ultimately dropped), and so on and so forth. We also practiced disentangling ourselves, lowering occupied baskets down ladders, and carrying down firefighters down ladders. Next week we'll be doing more searches and a lot of crawling.

Eventually our class historian is going to post the pictures he's been taking. Luckily, he's been in my group all week, so I hope to be able to post a few pictures of me diving off the balcony onto our ladder, or hanging off of it sideways trying to turn around to slide down. After just a little bit of practice, we got my 'company' of 4 cadets down the ladder in 15 seconds, even with getting hung up a little on the protruding beams of the ladder (normally you don't have to worry about that, because the tip of the ladder would be slightly below the windowsill).

This week went by fairly quickly, which is good, because I'm really looking forward to spending some time with family next weekend. I haven't seen my 4 oldest kids since August and I bet I miss them more than they miss me. I can't wait to talk to them in person.

Also, we're in the process of applying for a rental home out in Seguin, a Spanish Fork sized town about half an hour outside San Antonio. It's only a 3 bedroom house, but the 3rd bedroom is a huge loft on the 2nd floor that we can probably separate into 3 or 4 separate rooms with dividers. The house sits in a quiet neighborhood on about 5 acres of land, and it's very reasonably priced for the size. We could sure use any prayers thrown our way so that we can get approved and move in.

5 comments:

Wag-a-Muffin said...

I'd be happy to pray for your house. (And I enjoyed the description of your rescue practicing.)

Jenn said...

Makes me nervous some of the things you do, but I guess I should start getting used to it. We can't wait to see you!!!

J.F. said...

That's a long week, but I'm sure it was fun... sort of.

I taught many of the RIC/RIT stuff you did this week for several years in our local Fire Academy.

Looking forward to pictures if you get them.

Is posting what you're posting OK with your Department? I remember when you started they sort of warned you about such stuff.

If you don't want to post this comment, that's fine with me.

Chase said...

More than anything, they've warned us about not putting anything up that could be considered embarrassing to the department. I don't think anything I've written would be considered that way.

So far, it has been lots of fun. Even the more difficult and strenuous stuff is fun once you figure out what you're supposed to be doing.

J.F. said...

That makes sense, nothing will drive Staff crazy faster than some knuckle head putting stuff on the Internet that shows them or the Department in a bad light.

I speak from first hand knowledge, not me but other guys doing stupid stuff. Had one happen just this week.

Looking forward to seeing you guys next week.