Saturday, October 3, 2009

At the risk of offending the Negative Thought Police..

...who has been paying very close attention to my family lately, I thought I'd relate a little disappointment from the morning session of general conference.

I was excited to go be in the same building as our prophet today. It was overall a pretty decent experience. What really floored me though were the numerous hosts of people who got up and left during the closing hymn. I mean, I'm not one to leave meetings early anyways unless my kids are really misbehaving, but to ditch general conference in order to avoid traffic while President Monson is looking out over the audience, wow. Some people had an easy escape, they were sitting on the edge of their rows, but there were others sitting near the middle that had to plow over everyone sitting between them and the exit just so they could get a head start out the door. Maybe there were that many incontinent people there that could only hold on til the end of the talks, but I seriously doubt it. Really, if it's that important that you avoid traffic, watch it from home or at your stake center.

Bailey and I are going to the afternoon session tomorrow. I hope there aren't as many inconsiderate jerks there tomorrow, but if there are, at least I'll be able to teach Bailey how not to act.

If you want to call me out for what I have written here, make sure you're someone who's opinion I actually respect first.

6 comments:

Wag-a-Muffin said...

I believe it was the conference where Elder Ballard was the visiting authority, but I could be wrong. But I think he spoke on how rude it was to ever leave a Church meeting before the closing prayer.

I mean, we're not talking about a baseball game here.

J.F. said...

I agree with you Chase. Tonight at the Priesthood Session, as soon as President Monson finished his comments, a bunch of people got up and walked out before the closing hymn and prayer. That is about as rude as you can get.

Hopefully I didn't offend anyone with my comment, it wasn't my intent.

Joe Amerikano said...

I dont understand how anyone could consider that rude. If someone's feelings got hurt because you called them out for doing something even more rude in the first place, then thats something they need to work on themselves.

Stephanie said...

Maybe it's a reflection of the decrease in moral/social virtues that we heard about later on. I can think of sensitivity and courtesy. No manners whatsoever. :S

Chase said...

Bailey and I just got back from the Sunday Afternoon session, which was amazing, and which I'll probably post about.

After President Monson said goodbye and that he loved us, people got up and left in the same manner as yesterday. It's like "I don't want to feel the spirit anymore, I'm going to take off" Today, I just felt sad that there were that many disrespectful people.

The Good Life on Less! said...

20 years ago at BYU the students used to do that all the time at devotionals, etc. Couldn't believe it!