Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Happenings

I finally was able to see what my testing schedule for San Antonio is going to be like. I set up an appointment for my CPAT (fitness test) orientation for Nov 18, the day after I will be interviewing in Oklahoma City. I'll be driving a rental car from Oklahoma City to San Antonio on the 17th, and then driving back on the 18th after orientation to catch a late flight and return the car. It's going to cost me slightly less than taking 2 separate trips out there, but I'll save a lot of time which is nice.

I also will be allowed to waive my practice session in San Antonio, so I won't have to take an unnecessary trip out there in December. I'll fly back out in January for the actual test, unless I am either hired on with Oklahoma City or the Border Patrol by then. I was really worried that I was going to have to make 3 separate trips out there for a job that I wouldn't be able to take if I was already hired somewhere else. I'm happy that lately for once, something is turning out somewhat in my favor.

I am doing my carrier training for the Post Office this week. It's been kind of boring, but it looks like it will be a decent job once I finally get to do it. It's really too bad that they only hire part time substitutes for 8 hours a week. The instructor of my class is telling us that there probably won't be too many openings for the next 20 years or so because now whenever someone quits a route or retires, they'll split it up and give it to existing full time carriers rather than let one of the substitutes take it over to become a full time employee. I don't know if that's just what is happening at his office, or if that's how things are going to be everywhere for a while. Right now, I'm just glad that I don't really have to count on it, and that I have other options.

I've looked into what it is going to take for me to finish my bachelors degree. I'm going to be taking advantage of the General Studies Bachelors at BYU. I looked at my transcripts and found that I am only 16 credits short of a degree with an emphasis in management. It may not mean much, but it will at least be a piece of paper I can hang on my wall, and maybe open up a few more opportunities for me down the road. I'm hoping to get my paperwork filled out soon, so I can possibly finish my degree by next Christmas, maybe a little later if I'm in some sort of work related academy for a few months. I've given up playing the golf video game that I was wasting so much time on, and I'm more than ready to ditch all the stupid facebook games. I think I should be able to knock my required classes out quickly.

1 comment:

Wag-a-Muffin said...

Congratulations and continued good luck!