Thursday, January 28, 2010

Budget Rent a Car Sucks

First, let me say that I am an idiot, and I could have avoided this situation altogether by paying closer attention.

I rented a car from Budget in Houston when I went there for my firefighter job stuff. I was running on fumes when I got there (I took an early flight, and I was up late packing) I got to the rental counter, and informed the clerk that I had a reservation. She started getting things together, and asked if I wanted to purchase additional insurance coverages. I clearly stated no, that I did not need or want any of the coverages, and that I just needed the car. She printed up my contract, circled a few places for me to initial and sign, and started to explain it to me. When it came time to initial for optional coverages, she told me to initial there to declare that I had declined additional coverages, so I initialed. That isn't what was on the contract. I ended up paying 209 dollars for that little flub, because the clerk decided to try to sneak on additional coverage and hope I wouldn't notice.

When I noticed that I had an extra charge on my credit card, I called them up and asked them what it was for. I explained my situation, what I had verbally told the clerk at the desk, and asked them if there was anything they could do. I was hoping they'd do the right thing, but they decided to take my money instead. There isn't anything I can do legally to fight this since I was enough of a dunderhead to take their clerk's word that the contract was what I had asked for. I thought about disputing it on my credit card, but thought better of it when I found out they could send me to collections even if I won a decision with my credit card.

Dealing with their poor customer service has been a nightmare too, their agents are combative and rude.

Anyways, it's probably a good idea to read thoroughly any contract you sign, even if the line behind you is long and people are getting pissed off waiting. It's also a good idea to not do business with unethical companies like Budget.

Well done Budget, you legally stole 209 dollars from me. I guess I'll be looking elsewhere to rent a moving truck to Texas or Oklahoma this summer.

2 comments:

Wag-a-Muffin said...

I shall help you spread the word. (Hopefully we can cost Budget more than $209 worth of business.)

Wag-a-Muffin said...

I got this answer from a friend of mine (with whom I discussed your situation--although it doesn't help with your PAST trouble.)

I have had good luck with Hertz. They have always been very professional and courteous and most times, I have been upgraded, due to the car I rented not being available, at no charge. Of course, with every company where the employee gets bonus spiffs for the extras, you will find an employee that does things less than ethical in order to get the spiffs.