Saturday, January 16, 2010

Update

I've passed everything here in Houston. As of now I am waiting for them to pull a complete background on me. There shouldn't be anything in there that would disqualify me for a job, which means that come June, I should at least have an offer.

It was cold and windy on Friday morning, which is somewhat out of the ordinary for Houston. The CPAT wasn't difficult, each event was done on it's own, not all in order. The only thing that people probably ever fail on is the mile and a half run. I ran with a class of out of state applicants, and I guess everyone took the necessary precautions to pass the test. Our slowest finisher was around 12:10, a full minute ahead of the cutoff. I finished in 11:12, which is pretty decent for my level of fitness, but nowhere near where I expect to be after having another 6 months to a year to improve. I don't think I'm capable of getting back into high school cross country shape, but I bet I can get my mile and a half under 10 minutes. That will end up being my goal.

I ended up joining 24 Hour Fitness in Provo. They had a decent deal for a month to month membership. At the very most, I might have to pay for one month that I wouldn't use, but it's worth it to have somewhere to exercise. Even when I was running outside during the summer, as soon as I finished my 20-30 minute run, I'd go in and shower. Now after I finish my runs, I still do other cardio like the stair machine or the elliptical. I also have weights, which have really helped me get my pushup counts up. I'm hoping that eventually I'll start to lose some weight. I'm trying to drink lots of water every day, and cut down on my portion sizes at meals, but after 2 weeks of pretty solid workouts, I was stuck at 235 pounds.

I'm going to church tomorrow in Katy, which is probably where we'll move if I get hired in Houston. After that, I'm driving to San Antonio. I'm going to see Grant and Sam for lunch in Austin on Monday, and I've got the CPAT there on Tuesday.

I'm looking forward to seeing Jenn and the kids again on Wednesday night. I always miss them more than I think I'm going to.

1 comment: